I was given this recipe from a fellow instructor and it sounded very good and somewhat healthy. I made it on one of those cold days. My husband really liked it when he came back from running 3 miles that night.
Italian Peasant Soup
1 lb Italian sausage links with casings removed and cut into 1-inch slices
2 medium onions or 1 large onion chopped
6 garlic cloves, chopped
1 lb boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
2 cans (15 oz each) cannellini beans or white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
2 cans (14-1/2 oz each) chicken broth
2 cans (14-1/2 oz each) diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon of dried basil
1 teaspoon of dried oregano
6 cups fresh spinach leaves, chopped
- In Dutch oven or soup kettle, cook sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain.
Add onions & garlic; sauté until tender.
- Add chicken; cook until no longer pink.
- Stir in beans, broth, tomatoes, basil, & oregano.
- Cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add spinach & heat just until wilted.
- Serve with parmesan cheese if desired.
Yield 11 servings.
From Taste of Home
I served the soup with garlic bread. It was good for dipping and wiping the bottom of the bowl.
Try it and tell us what you thought.